Thursday, March 10, 2011

Upcycled Thrift Store Find

My daughter bought this shirt at the Goodwill a few years ago but has never worn it for some reason. I think it is an adorable shirt with more detail than I would ever sew myself!

Here is the front of the blouse...


And here is the back. All of those cute little buttons down the back - I LOVE the detail!


I found this cute rose fabric trim at Hobby Lobby. It was a bit pricey at $6.99 a yard but I had my cool 40% off coupon so I used it on this.


The trim is sewn on a mesh or tule type background. I decided to trim away a little of the extra so it wouldn't show.


I added the rose trim to the front top and across the waist. I ended up hand sewing it on. I was going to use the zipper foot on my machine and sew it but it was hard to do and not sew over the roses so I figured I could hand sew it in the time it was taking to do on the machine.

I also had an old pin I picked up at a yard sale that I pinned to front. Jen can take it off when she puts the top in the washer.


I'm afraid I'm a bit of a math person and something about the top wasn't balanced at this point. I decided to add some white lace around the bottom just to keep the ecru and white theme balanced. This was lace I got a yard sale for .45 for a whole sack!


And here is the finished product. I realize this blouse could use a good ironing but I KNOW my daughter would never iron it again so if I send it to her pressed, she might not wear it again after it is washed. So, this way, after it washes, it will be just like it was before! Jedi daughter trick.


As always, I love your comments!

2 comments:

  1. I love upcycling and restyling.. love this blouse and the details you added made it really pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my what a great upcycling job on this already darling top!

    ReplyDelete

My Favorite Blogs