Thursday, November 25, 2010

Follow up to "Would Jesus hang out at Hooters?"

I came across a section of scripture this morning that was new to me although I'm sure I've read it many times before. I was still thinking about the Hooter's blog when I found this. It comes from 1 Corinthians 5:9-12:

I wrote to you in  my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people - not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of  brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler - not even to eat with such a one. 

I don't believe Paul is telling us not to associate with these people (sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and and swindlers, or idolaters). He is telling us not to allow this behaviour to go on among believers and to cast out anyone who commits these acts continually and still calls themselves a Christian. He says that if we were not to associate with those people outside of the church, we would need to leave the world. I do not believe this applies to people who are struggling with a sin and trying to overcome it. I believe this refers to those who relish in what they are doing and somehow call it good.

I believe he is calling us to associate and teach the lost outside of the church. He is also teaching us to keep the House of God pure and undefiled.

The truth is that not all people can do this. If going into the world and associating with those of the world would bring temptation to great to resist - then this is not what God is calling YOU to do. The people who can do this and not become defiled need a support base that remains within the walls of God's house. Find where you fit best and plug in! God didn't create us all to do the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorite Blogs